It’s been a minute since my last post and did I miss sharing new ideas and experiences with you!I took a break and focus more on the rugby bit in my life getting prepped up and ready for the long season ahead,hoping for a better one compared to the last,wish me luck with that.
On matters food,I am back with new and exciting recipes that you will be falling in love with.What better way to kick this off than with my simple delicious chicken fried rice.Freshen up your leftover rice with this simple recipe transforming it into something savory and addictive .
what I love about this recipe is how little chicken goes a long way in feeding a crowd.Throw in some vegetables and you have yourself a meal to reckon with.Also,who dosen’t love their meals prepared in one pan, all the complexity in flavours brought together into one as they mingle and intermarry with each other.In the end you have yourself a healthy meal which not only tastes fantastic but uses mostly leftovers in your refrigerator with little cleanup required after,now that’s what I call a win win situation.
This is a meal that I brought together in a hurry and I cant be more proud of myself.For starters,this is the first time that I made fried rice without using eggs as one of my ingredients, this happened by chance as I had eggs with me but forgot to add them in, despite this I am happy to report that my fried rice did not in any way lack in richness of flavour or depth.
leaving out the egg makes my chicken fried rice healthier.White rice can be substituted for brown rice in equal parts taking this up another level of healthy.
carrots, broccoli,bell peppers and green onions are what I went with as my veggies.You go ahead and use whichever vegetables you have left in your refrigerator.
This is a simple rice dish that takes no time to prepare and tastes amazing.
Soy sauce is added in at the very end for that umami vibe and the deep rich color it adds to the fried rice.I would on a normal day take time and come up with a proper stir fry sauce adding in hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, cooking wine, soy sauce,ginger, garlic to mention but a few.However speed was of the essence here and I drizzled in soy sauce right at the very end and viola,my chicken fried rice was ready to be served and devoured.
- 4 cups cold rice
- 1 large chicken breast
- 1 cup red bell pepper
- 1 cup yellow bell pepper
- 2 medium sized carrots
- 2 spring onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- salt&pepper to taste
- Thinly slice your chicken breast into bite size pieces against the grain.Chop your vegetables into equal sizes separating the woody parts of the green onions from the leafy green as they do have different cooking times.This should also apply for your veggies as the hard veggies like carrots take a longer time to cook.
- heat up two tablespoons of oil in a wok or a skillet,season your chicken with salt and pepper,fry your chicken until golden brown and fully cooked.take your chicken of the heat and set aside.
- add about a tablespoon of oil into the pan and proceed to fry your red onions, garlic and carrots.fry until fragrant and the onions are slightly wilted and browned whilst the carrots should be soft to the bite.
- Add the chicken back into the pan, toss for a minute and in goes the rest of the vegetables apart from the leafy green from the spring onions.
- Toss around and cook for about 3 minutes then add in your cold rice.Fry the rice until it slightly crispens up.
- add in the green onions followed by the soy sauce.Toss this around until the rice is evenly stained.Take of the heat and serve hot.