Remember my Habanero Sweet Chilli Sauce that I shared with you guys a few days ago? Well, here’s one of my many finger licking meals that can be prepared using my out of this world delicious sweet Chilli sauce. Even if I say so myself!
These Habanero Sweet Chilli wings couldn’t have come at a better time when the FIFA World Cup upon us. They go well as a game day snack and can be served either hot or cold as you get behind cheering your favorite footballing nations, which for me happens to be Portugal . We had cracker of an opener against Spain, Christian Ronaldo is still the GOAT but that’s a story for another day, let’s get back to something we can agree on. What’s the most delicious part of a bird. Wings!!!
I try to make healthy choices when it comes to eating but wings are my weakness, however baking them makes them healthier and you will feel less guilty digging into these delicious treats. Pair this with a salad of choice and you will be winning on the scale of deliciousness.
Habanero Sweet Chilli wings are a breeze to make if you already have my Habanero Sweet Chilli Sauce at hand, it has all the flavors you need. I just didn’t stop there though, the secret to fantastic wings is in building layers and layers of flavours. So exactly how do we achieve that? While the sweet Chilli sauce comes packed with flavor and heat, marination is key in adding in an extra depth in flavor.I marinated my chicken wings in a simple Asian marinade where lemon grass was the star of the show alongside the other common Asian staples – ginger, garlic and soy sauce.
Marination does not only add flavor to the wings but in the process tenderizes them so you get crispy baked chicken wings with a moist flavorful inside,now who wouldn’t want that?
Also worthwhile remembering is that a baking rack is a worthwhile investment and your wings just won’t turn out as crispy as when you use a baking tray. A baking rack allows for even circulation of air around the wings as they bake making for crispy skin, soggy wings are usually the result of them cooking in their rendered fat and juices.
- 1kg chicken wings
- 4 tablespoons Habanero Sweet Chilli Sauce
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 2 stalks lemon grass
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt&pepper to taste
- Start off by separating your drums from the flats. This is optional and my personal reasons behind this is that the tips usually cook faster and end up burning. I keep my tips in the freezer for when I need to make stock.
- Mince the ginger & garlic and using the blunt side of your knife bash the lemon grass to release its flavors and oils.
- Add in all the marinade ingredients to the wings saving the sweet Chilli sauce for later.Mix well to combine.
- Cover this and let it marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or preferably 24 hours.
- Place your marinated wings on a baking rack and bake inside a preheated oven at 200 degrees Celsius for 40 minutes flipping halfway.
- When done toss your wings in the Habanero Sweet Chilli Sauce and serve or take them back into the oven for an extra 5 minutes as I did mine.This ensures for maximum caramelization.
- Serve with a side of choice preferably a salad and dig in.