My easy and healthy Sweet Potato Carrot Soup is here to keep you warmed up during this cold season. This soup is packed with natural sweetness from both the potatoes and carrots perfect for perking up an old grey day, that has been a norm in Nairobi for the past few weeks with colder days yet to come.
This Soup has basic flavors with a rich taste it owes much from the chicken stock that goes into preparing this wonderful bowl of deliciousness. You can choose to substitute the chicken stock with beef stock or even vegetable stock if you are going for a vegan kinda soup. Apart from stock you’ll need some salt,pepper,onions and garlic are all the spices to blend in.
I decided to keep it simple with this recipe as I wanted the freshness and natural flavors of the carrots and sweet potatoes to stand out.
I used thyme and lemon rinds as my aromatics and one thing’s for sure, they didn’t disappoint .The fresh lemon rinds add some zing to your soup but should be discarded together with the thyme extract right before the soup goes in the blender, otherwise if you make the mistake of blending in the rinds you’ll end up with a not so pleasant bitter aftertaste from the soup. In the same breath, if you leave out the lemon rind you’ll end up missing out on a whole layer of flavors and aroma. It’s all about the balance when it comes to preparation of this soup as all the flavors are supposed to complement each other not overpower the other.
The simplicity of preparing this soup is that once the vegetables have been sautéed and boiled till soft, they’re tossed into a food processor/blender and puréed till you achieve a smooth consistent paste.
My Sweet Potato carrot Soup can either be served as a starter or even eaten as a light meal on its own for those following diets and meal plans.
Initially I had planned to oven roast my sweet potatoes alongside the carrots but being short of time, I skipped the whole thing!!! I was quite impressed by the final outcome.
There’s no better way to fight off the cold while building up your immune system at the same time. Sweet Potato Carrot Soup comes loaded with Beta-carotene, vitamin A and C.
So in the spirit of keeping ourselves warm, let’s get our soup spoons out and dig into this bowl of delicious, nourishing delight
PREP TIME: 10MINUTES
COOKING TIME: 30MINUTES
TOTAL TIME: 40MINUTES
- 4 cups carrots
- 2 cups sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup sweet onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 thyme sprigs
- Time of one lemon
- Salt&pepper to taste
- 4 cups chicken stock
- Peel and chop up your sweet potatoes alongside your carrots
- Dice the onion, mince your garlic and peel the rind off the lemon
- Sauté your onions in a pot with a little bit of olive oil until translucent and fragrant. Stir in the garlic followed by the carrots and sweet potatoes.
- Pour in 3 cups of stock (of choice). Throw in your lemon rinds and the thyme. Bring this to a quick boil and then cover and allow to simmer until the carrots and sweet potatoes soften up.
- Pick out the thyme sprigs and the lemon rinds and discard them.
- Using a blender or food processor, blitz the carrots and sweet potatoes until smooth and consistent or chunky according to your liking. I like mine smooth and silky so I let the blender keep going for some time.
- Pour the mixture back into your pot, add in the remaining cup of stock (of choice) with some water if you prefer your soup thinner. Bring this to a boil and let it simmer for 5 minutes. Ladle up and enjoy.