As we are still in that sporting month, the Football World Cup is ongoing and the Rugby 7s World Cup is less than a month away, I have been coming up with more game day snacks and ideas. You need to make my Crispy Chicken Tenders, I promise. They won’t disappoint.
The game changer in these chicken tenders is in the coating. I used a mixture of maize flour paired with regular whole wheat flour and the result is that the crust on these tenders is crispy and golden brown.
So the secret is out. My Crispy Chicken Tenders are coated in a corn meal & whole wheat flour mixture then deep fried until golden brown in colour. Let’s ignore the health zealots for a moment, let’s be honest with ourselves, nothing beats deep fried goodness. Perfect for that one cheat day as you catch your favorite team with an ice cold beer in hand.
Chicken tenders are the most tender piece of meat from the bird and just like their beefy counterpart, the tenderloin, they aren’t that flavourful. If you cook them for too long you also risk drying them out. In the fryer they shouldn’t sit for more than 6 minutes once you get the oil to around 190 degrees Celsius. To see if the oil is hot enough, insert a wooden spoon in the oil and if bubbles form around the bottom of the spoon, you are set to fry those tenders.
Chicken tenders can be quite pricy and a good alternative is to slice up your chicken breasts into finger like strips.
You can pair these tenders with a dip of your choice. From tartar sauce to ketchup, the world is your oyster. You can dip these in whatever warms your soul and makes you happy. I went with my home made Tree Tomato Barbecue Sauce and it was out of this world amazeballs.
- 500gms chicken tenders
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup maize flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 medium lemon
- 2 teaspoons water
- Salt&pepper to taste
- Wash and pat dry your chicken tenders.If they are from the freezer or refrigerator let them come to room temperature.
- Crack your eggs in a bowl,water it down with two tablespoons of water.
- Mix together your 1/4 cup wheat flour with the corn flour.Season well with salt and pepper.Set aside the remaining flour for later.
- Mince your garlic,mix it in with the chicken.add in juice of one lemon and season well with enough salt and pepper
- Dust the chicken in the wheat flour,dip it in your egg mixture then coat it well with the corn flour wheat flour mixture.Set aside on a wire rack and repeat.
- Deep fry it in hot frying oil for 5 to six minutes until golden brown and crispy.Cook in butches avoiding crowding the pan.
- Take off the oil,drain with pepper towels.Serve with a dip of choice.
using a fryer with a heavy base is always advisable as it distributes heat more evenly and allows for even cooking.I went with my cast iron pan and it’s always my go to when a recipe calls for any deep or shallow frying