Tree tomato or tamarillos as referred to by others, has to be one of my favorite fruits and tree tomato juice is the best ever. There are different varieties of this fruit including orange and yellow varieties which happen to be a lot sweeter than the red variety I went for in this recipe.
This sauce has is one of those kitchen experiments that turned out way beyond my expectations. The tartness and sweetness from the tamarillos is unmatched and is perfect for a Barbecue Sauce. I love dark rich depth in colour, it really adds to the sauce. I have made a pineapple barbecue sauce before and it was good, but this one takes first place.
All I am thinking of right now is how good this will turn out on wings or chicken drums and thighs. It can also be a delicious exotic spread on your sandwiches and burgers.
There have been many requests for the recipe of my Tree Tomato Barbecue Sauce from my previous Crispy Chicken Fingers With Spicy Tree Tomato BBQ Sauce and it’s actually pretty simple, plus it’s packed with tarty exotic flavors and a dark rich color from the tamarillo fruit.
Tree tomato is a versatile ingredient and can be used in baking, salads, and cooking, but it’s best use is in sauces and jams.
This sauce is good as a barbecuedipping sauce and is perfect when paired with pork or chicken. I will be coming up with recipes on how to bring together mouth watering dishes using my Tree Tomato Barbecue Sauce.
- 500g tree tomato fruit
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1tsp Chilli flakes
- 1/4tsp black pepper
- 1/4tsp salt
- Separate the fleshy insides of the tamarillos from the skin.Blend until smooth and consistent.pass it through a strainer to separate the seeds and fiber from the juice.You should be left with 1 cup of tree tomato juice.
- Combine all the ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a quick boil.Turn the heat to a low and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Bottle in in sterilized containers and store in your refrigerator.