Leftovers are inevitable and mostly end up in our refrigerators forgotten only to the disposed of a few days,weeks,or months later.
Well! Most of us are blessed and enjoy 3 meals a day,the story is different across the globe. people are going hungry for days on end and I always try as much as possible not to have any food at home go to waste.
Leftovers aren’t fun to eat especially if they have been sitting in refrigerator for some time. They need some creativity to freshen up and make them exciting to eat again.
I had some leftover rice in my refrigerator left behind after I enjoyed my Carrot Coconut Milk Pigeon Peas ‘Mbaazi’.It wasn’t much,around 2 cups and I had to figure out how to feed three people.
Fried rice has always been my go to meal whenever I want to freshen up leftover rice,I usually load my rice with veggies which most of the time are also sitting in the refrigerator.
Cold rice works best for fried rice,Warm rice results in soggy sticky fried rice that nobody loves.Refrigeration helps dry out the rice grains and I usually go one further and dry my rice in the wok before stir frying it..
The beauty of fried rice is that you can add almost anything you fancy in it from leftover proteins to veggies.
For my Egg And Veggie Fried Rice,I included a few veggies to freshen up whilst adding color and crunch to my fried rice.
I almost never miss out on bell peppers whenever I am throwing down a stir fry.They add color and vibrance to any dish and as we all know color and nutrition go hand in hand when it comes to veggies.
Always try and chop up your veggies into almost equal size pieces for quick and even cooking.
The onions is usually finely julienne and I always finely mince my garlic and ginger.I hate biting into pieces of raw ginger and garlic in my food.
Crack your eggs and whisk until homogeneous beforehand.Cracking the egg into the wok works but sort of complicates the process.
I almost always have my stir-fry sauce at hand,literally it’s the best thing that will ever happen to your stir fry and I will Be sharing the same with you soon.
I had ran out of my trusted stir-fry sauce and settled for my Teriyaki Sauce .You however can use soy sauce,ginger and garlic,always works for me.
Stir fries are quick meals and once you have prepped your ingredients the cooking process is usually short and quick.
Start off by frying your onions ginger and garlic until translucent and fragrant.
Then in goes your cubed or julienned carrots.Give it a quick stir fry until heated through and just starts to cook.
Throw in your sweet bell peppers,give them a quick toss in the wok for about a minute or two.
Stir-fry is all about cooking on high heat within a short period of time as you want your vegetables to still have a crunch and a bite as opposed to having them completely cooked.
Mix in the rice and toss around until it’s combined with the veggies.
Move the rice to one side and pour in your beaten eggs.
Quickly scramble the eggs into the rice before it completely sets ensuring everything grain of rice is coated with the egg mixture.
Cook this for about a minute or two before mixing in your soy sauce mixture.
Continue frying until the soy sauce has coated and kissed every single grain of the fried rice.There should no liquids left behind in the wok.
Fried rice has to be the easiest meals out there to bring together.I personally love the fact that everything is cooked in one wok so there will be less clean up afterwards.
Easy simple and quick without compromising on flavor,that’s how I would describe my Egg And Veggie Fried Rice.
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup red onions
- 1 cup sweet bell peppers
- 1 cup carrots
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 inch minced ginger
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 inch minced ginger
- Always start with cold rice.Heat up your wok or pan and fry your rice dehydrating it further until the grains separates and is no longer sticky.
- Crack and whisk the eggs setting them aside.Julien your onions and mince the ginger and garlic.Cube your carrots and bell peppers into almost equal sizes for even quick cooking.
- Combine the soy sauce alongside your minced ginger and garlic.That will be the stir fry sauce.
- pour 2 tablespoons cooking oil into a hot wok.Fry your onions,ginger and minced garlic until translucent and fragrant.
- Add in the carrots tossing and turning until they are completely heated through.You want your veggies to be cooked but still crunchy.A minute or two should be enough.
- Throw in your sweet bell peppers tossing for a minute.Careful not to cook them for too long as this will trigger the steaming process forcing the veggies to release liquid into the wok turning your stir-fry into a braise.
- Next in goes the rice,toss and combine well with the veggies until heated through and hot.
- Pour in the soy sauce mixed together alongside the minced ginger and garlic.Continue frying and tossing under high heat until all the liquid is absorbed and every grain of rice is coated in the soy glaze.
- Take off the heat and serve hot.
That’s how simple fried rice really is.You get the restaurant quality flavors we love without having to leave the comfort of our kitchen.